The Purdue College of Pharmacy is proud to present BoilerWoRx: a response to Indiana’s public health crisis stemming from the opioid epidemic. BoilerWoRx is a smart mobile health initiative that will bring vital services to communities across Indiana. BoilerWoRx plans to utilize the best available data to guide our teams of health care professionals and students as they work to make an impact in the areas hardest hit by this crisis.
The mission of the BoilerWoRx initiative is:
Responding to crisis, promoting safe and healthy communities
BoilerWoRx will provide the following services to combat the opioid epidemic:
Naloxone Training and Distribution
- Naloxone is a life saving medication to treat opioid overdose.
- Saving a life with naloxone gives a person a chance to get the help they need.
Drug Disposal Kit Distribution
- Disposing of unused opioids and other medications helps prevent abuse and addiction.
- Safe disposal can be difficult in an environment of abuse and addiction.
Harm Reduction Education and Advocacy
- Harm reduction education for safe injection practices that prevent the spread of disease to all parts of a community and keeps everyone safe.
- Information on how to access and support local health departments and community-based syringe service programs such as Gateway to Hope will be provided.
- Addiction is a mental health disorder, and patients need to have access to information about proper care and treatment in order to get help.
- Advocate for mental health first aid training.
- Finding linkages to care resources in the community.
- Navigating insurance enrollment options.
- Information regarding disease screenings and general health care will also be distributed.
Addressing Stigmatizing Language
- Advocate for language and communication that is not negative or dehumanizing.
- Facilitate non-stigmatizing language to reduce barriers to care.
Public Policy Advocacy
- BoilerWoRx team members will work closely with Departments of Health, Law Enforcement, and the Indiana General assembly to ensure we continue to optimize public policy in the name of better public health.
- Governmental agencies must be educated about the realities of effective care regarding this epidemic from health care professionals who understand both the theory and practice of combating this public health crisis.
These services are just the beginning. In the future, BoilerWoRx plans to provide an even wider variety of services including immunizations, point-of-care testing for diabetes and cholesterol, smoking cessation education, and others.